A fried chicken sandwich is a traditional dish that can be enjoyed anytime. Many delicious side dishes will complement your sandwich perfectly, whether you’re serving it for a casual lunch or a more formal dinner.
Here are our top suggestions for what to pair with a fried chicken sandwich.
Best Foods To Serve With Fried Chicken Sandwich
1. Coleslaw – Best Choice to serve with Chicken Sandwich
Coleslaw is the classic and refreshing side dish and is the perfect balance to the rich flavor of fried chicken.
The crunch of the cabbage pairs perfectly with the crispy chicken, and the tangy dressing is a refreshing contrast to the rich sandwich.
It’s also very easy to prepare, which makes it ideal for busy weeknights. Simply combine shredded cabbage and carrots with a mayonnaise-based dressing, and you’re good to go!
2. Potato Salad
Another excellent option for those looking for something light and refreshing. Potatoes are a classic side dish that goes well with almost anything, and potato salad is no exception.
Boiled potatoes, eggs, mayonnaise, vinegar, and mustard make up the base of this dish, but feel free to add other ingredients, like diced celery or onions, if you like.
3. Baked beans
Baked beans are a fantastic choice that goes well with a Fried Chicken Sandwich. They’re filling and full of flavor and will help round out your meal nicely.
Simply open a can of beans (we prefer kidney or pinto), add in some seasonings like garlic powder and onion powder, then bake in the oven until heated through; the addition of bacon or sausage makes this dish even more delicious. So easy and so delicious!
4. Macaroni and cheese
Macaroni and cheese are always a hit, which goes especially well with a fried chicken sandwich.
The creamy cheese and pasta pair perfectly with the crispy chicken, making it a mouthwatering combination that’s hard to beat.
Plus, it’s an easy dish to make ahead of time, so you can simply reheat it when you’re ready to serve. Win-win!
5. Green Beans
Green beans are a healthy option that still tastes great with a fried chicken sandwich. The vibrant green color looks beautiful on the plate, and the beans contrast with the crispy chicken.
6. Corn on the Cob
Corn on the Cob, one type of my summertime favorite, is a great way to lighten up your fried chicken sandwich meal.
The sweetness of the corn pairs well with the savory chicken, and it’s a fun and festive way to add color to your plate. Plus, it’s a fabulous way to get your daily dose of veggies!
7. French Fries
Who doesn’t love fries? They’re the perfect salty and crispy compliment to any fried chicken sandwich. Add them on the side or use them as “croutons” in your sandwich for an extra flavor and texture boost. Either way, they’re sure to please everyone at the table.
8. Roasted Brussels Sprouts
Roasted Brussels sprouts are a delicious way to get your veggies while enjoying a delicious meal. The Brussels sprouts pair perfectly with the fried chicken, and the roasted flavor is incredibly addicting.
9. Sweet Potato Fries
Sweet potato fries are a fantastic option for those who want something different from traditional french fries. The sweetness of the potato pairs excellently with the savory chicken, and the fries are baked instead of fried, so they’re healthier too!
6 Best sauce goes with a fried chicken sandwich
While some folks prefer to keep things simple with a classic chicken and bun combo, others like to get a little more creative with their toppings.
If you’re looking for the perfect sauce to take your fried chicken sandwich to the next level, here are five of the best:
1. Honey mustard: This sweet and tangy sauce is a classic for a reason. The bold flavor of mustard complements the crispy chicken, while the honey provides a touch of sweetness.
Make a perfect balance of flavors, and it pairs perfectly with the crispy chicken and soft bun.
2. BBQ: There’s nothing quite like a classic BBQ sauce to bring out the flavor of tender, juicy fried chicken. The smoky richness of the sauce is a perfect match for the crispy coating on the chicken.
3. Sriracha mayo: If you’re searching for a little bit of heat, sriracha mayonnaise is the way to go. The spice of the sriracha is offset by the creaminess of the mayo, making for a delicious and unique flavor combination.
4. Ranch dressing: Fried chicken and ranch dressing is a combo that just can’t be beaten. The cool, creamy dressing helps to tone down the spices in the breading, making for a perfectly balanced sandwich.
5. Ketchup: A childhood favorite, ketchup is always a good choice when it comes to dipping your fried chicken sandwich.
The sweetness of the ketchup complements the savory flavors of the chicken and bread wonderfully.
6. Hot sauce: Hot sauce is an excellent option for those who like a little spice in their sandwich. The spicy sauce pairs well with the crispy chicken.